Commercial property is not exempt from the necessity of preparing for freezing temperatures.
Low temperatures and winter storms can cause severe damage, resulting in costly repairs and possible disruption of tenant business or decreases in the property’s value. Even vacant properties should be properly winterized to protect your investment.
Here are seven winterization “Must Do’s” for commercial property owners:
- Maintain consistent temperature. Keeping the thermostat set on 50 degrees, even in vacant units, prevents freezing pipes. The cost of the heating bill is much less than the cost and time of repairing damage from bursting pipes.
- Inspect your roof for minor issues that could contribute to larger problems. Winter storms may loosen tiles or shingles which can lead to roof leaks. Severe property damage, including mold damage threatening to human health, may result from leaks unnoticed or unrepaired.
- Routinely inspect your property. Keeping eyes on the property allow small problems to be seen and resolved before they develop into a larger concern.
- Eliminate drafts. Cold air can enter your property through gaps in doors or windows. Such inefficiencies inflate heating bills for you or your tenant. Ensure all exterior doors and windows have weather stripping and caulking.
- Winterize irrigation systems. Drain the irrigation system of water and shut down the control box until spring arrives.
- Clean your gutters. Clear gutters of leaves and other debris that may have fallen during the autumn months. Clogged gutters can lead to water accumulating on your roof, which can cause leaks and expensive water damage.
- Head off accidents by keeping snow clear. Salting the parking lot, driveways, and sidewalks enhance traction preventing slips and falls and vehicle accidents.
If you have contracted a property management company, these steps may already be in place for your property. SVN property managers inspect each of their properties on a monthly basis and report and discuss any concerns with the owner. We can either send our in-house maintenance team or schedule and coordinate with specialist vendors to ensure any deficiencies are repaired promptly.
SVN-MILLER COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
SVN - Miller Commercial Real Estate, with offices in Salisbury, MD, Easton, MD, and Seaford, DE is a financial services firm specializing in commercial real estate. We provide advisory, brokerage, consultation, leasing and asset and property management services to clients in the Mid-Atlantic Region. We combine a comprehensive national footprint with local decision making, expertise and market-leading execution. We maintain an unequivocal commitment to our clients and community (#SVNgivesback).
SVN - Miller is an Accredited Management Organization® (AMO). Our team of dedicated professionals with market-leading knowledge includes a highly-trained staff of Certified Property Managers® (CPM®), Brokers who hold the prestigious Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM) designation, and members of the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR).